Pages

Weight Loss Ticker

Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 4 Weigh_in Week 334

On this Independence Day, I am thankful for all the brave men and women (and their families) who have served to protect our freedoms.  So many have given up so much so that I can live in peace and prosperity in this country.  My own struggle with fitness seems callow compared to their struggles.

This week has been really good fitness-wise.  I found myself feeling fit, though I don't look it.  What I see in the mirror doesn't reflect how I feel.  The whole psychological aspect of this journey mystifies me.  I have read some stories of people who went from obesity to fit, yet they say that they still struggle with thinking like an obese person.  I just don't get it.  I am not saying that it isn't true.  I believe it is.  But I don't know if I think like an obese person or not.  What I do know is that I have been feeling like a fit person.

This brings up another psychological point that mystifies me: Emotional Eating.  Apparently, emotional eating is BAD!  Whenever I looked for definitions of emotional eating, I found that by those definitions everyone must be emotional eaters.  What does make sense to me is that some people turn to food when they are angry, depressed, sad, or anxious.  So I can see that eating as a way to deal with negative emotions is bad.  In that sense, I don't think that I am an emotional eater.  In fact, It tend to lose my appetite in those situations.

I don't know how anyone can eat without emotion.  I like to enjoy the food I am eating.  I enjoy the look of food, the smell, the texture.  I enjoy eating with the people I love.  I enjoy celebrating with a special meal including the dessert.  Certainly, I don't need food to celebrate, but there is nothing wrong with it either.  Though I have not researched it, I suspect that every culture has special foods tied with their celebrations.  However, this doesn't mean I need to stuff myself silly.  I can enjoy the celebration, the people I am with, and eat a delicious meal in moderation.

Losing weight is not one of those occasions that I celebrate with food.  It is its own reward.  Even better has been feeling fit.  That is a much greater reward than the scale number.  However, the scale number this morning was a nice reward in itself. I lost 2 lbs. since last week.  I now weight 305 lbs.  I am inching closer to that 300 lb.  mark.  I am looking forward to seeing a 2 rather than a 3 at the beginning of my weight. 

Living Fit Is My #1 Job!

2 comments:

Don Q. said...

Milestones keep us moving. Here's to seeing that "2" at the beginning of the number.

Rikki said...

You just described me. I call it a "stress eater".